A Very Nice Slap In The Face

I don't know why I decided to sit in a different part of the church that Sunday. Being a creature of habit, I usually sit in the same area because, maybe I like the angle or feel comfortable around the people, who knows for sure. But that particular Sunday I decided to sit way back and way right, a place where I thought no one would go. Having sat off to the left of center and a little front of the middle for so many times, it was time for a change of location. I was early and claimed a place at the end of the pew, which reminds me, I have been guilty of thinking badly about people who show up for church early so they can claim the end of the pew, right in the middle of the church imposing discomfort those who have to crawl over the seated rascals clinging to their end position. Most folks look around and decide to get an easier passage to their seat, so that when the usher has to do his job, folks will finally get to tromp over the end huggers.
But this piece is not about them today, well, maybe just a little. Today I am talking about everyone. There are those that come late. Why bother if you are going to miss half the service. And what is up with walking right by the crying room with your infant and allowing him/her to work on lung growth during the homily.
So there I was thinking all these bad thoughts about all these wayward people, the late one, the noisy, ones the pew huggers, (remember I was one of them that day)and just about everyone in the church except me. I was the only one who new how to BE!
Then it hit me. There is nothing wrong with these people. They are all doing the best they can. I bet GOD is very happy to have them come to church, whether it be late, early or even when there is no service. I bet HE is glad to have his babies crying as they develop no matter where they are. And I but those, I mean us end of pew clingers are there because someone has to sit on the end.
So I was blessed I saw that this problem I was having right there in HIS house was my own, a definite surfacing of one of my character defects. And the good news was that I was made aware of it.
"That settles it, I need to go to confession about this". I told myself in a mutter.
"Thinking all these bad thoughts in this place and today indicates that I DO need some help", I chastise a bit further.
I felt a bit better for getting a better picture of thing.
During the passing of the collection plate with music softly playing, my thoughts turned to some profound gratitude, mostly about how my life has been blessed with my new love, the most wonderful lady, and her children. I was missing them and at the same time loving them.
When it came time to file out of the pew to head for communion I was the last in line for that row. A gentleman at the far end was waiting for his sizable family to come out so that he could follow behind them. I was at the end of his family's line. When he saw me he reached out his hand for a shake. I smiled and shaked his hand and whispered, "good to see you".
I knew him from someplace, oh yeah, it occurred to me that he was at one time a student where I teach nights. But that was a few years ago. As the procession led back to our respective pews and since this proud father was at the end of the line, he ended up sitting next to me for the rest of the service. When it was all over I asked him how he was doing and that if he missed school. He was doing fine and no, he didn't miss school. I asked who all he was with and he pointed out one of his daughters who was with a nice looking Young man sharply dressed in brand new army dress, he had just turned out from basic training. Then he pointed to his daughter who was also impeccably dressed in army dress, and he told me about his son who wasn't there, a marine in Baghdad. I looked at that fine family and felt so blessed that I had encountered them that day. I felt that the Man upstairs was slapping me in the face at that moment, showing me how wonderful it is to be around HIS children. At the same time I was being reprimanded for my earlier thoughts, he was blessing me with a lesson in humility. I left the church feeling a bit small, but happy to be part of the big picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!