Write A Letter To Rachel Quintana, Please, Now.

I have had some email conversations with some interesting people who live on my side of town, some of which live on the same street Heinz Duerkop did. The Ghost Bike Program may actually happen one of these days. I hear of a young man who has been around Texas, places like San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and maybe more; who has seen ghost bikes. In 2006, 51 cyclists were killed in Texas. Am too lazy to look this up right at this moment, but I think it is a pretty close average as to what we can expect to happen in 2009. Awareness could reduce this number significantly if we all do something about it.

A couple of months ago I went to a meeting that the city Streets Department were laying out the approved bicycle path/lane plan. To my surprise, and yes I am naive, there was hardly anyone there. Of those present was and elderly man who watches a lot of CSPAN because he was well practiced on asking questions like a senator would when someone is in the hot seat. He was a naysayer. Another attendant was a graduate student doing a study on peoples reaction to presentations such as this. A couple of other silent types were in the back and then there was me.

Of course there were not enough bicycle lanes planned in my opinion and of course one was too many for dear old naysayer. When the meeting was over I met Rachel Quintana, My City Representative. A nice young woman who presides over approximately 31,000 parcel properties in her district. We talked of riding, anyone who knows me will testify that I will talk about cycling endlessly if given the chance. Questions about any aspect of the pastime is most welcome to me.

Like most good politicians, she may bend in whichever the wind blows. Well, that's crude what I mean to say is that she probably listens to what her constituents have to say and make sound decisions based on that. After being here for only a year, I haven't had a chance to see if she Stands for something.

But here's what I want you to do. I want you to write to Rachel and tell her you know some people who are planning to put up a White Bicycle at the location where Heinz Duerkop got killed and that you want her to support it. Tell her that if the bike gets taken away, another one will replace it, then another and another if needed. And if she doesn't support this openly and loudly, then you want all of the memorials placed around the city to be removed. You know those crosses people put up when their loved ones die on the road. We want them removed if our bike gets moved. (I actually support those crosses on the side of the road, they are somber reminders that life can be taken away just like that) Even if you don't live in her district, even if you don't live in Texas or the USA. If you live on this planet write to Rachel Quintana and tell here this.

Email: district#5@elpasotexas.gov
or
Please Write To:
Rachel Quintana
City Rpresentative District 5
#2 Civic Center Plaza, 10th Floor
El Paso, TX79901

Comments

Anonymous said…
You have my support and letter to Rachel Quintana in this endevor.
I pray for a united response.
Martha Brown

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!