First Camp Visitor

Arachnidian wanderer.












The weather was perfect for camping at the Fort Davis State Park Camp Ground the day I rode in from Alpine. Since the day before, the ride from Fort Stockton to Alpine was so brutally difficult due to the wind, and of which I want to write more about later, the ride from Alpine to Fort Davis was a welcome short ride. Not easy, but short. Fort Davis was where I made my last blog updates before getting to El Paso. Fort Davis was where I picked up my general delivery "care package" to help sustain me while I camped. By the way the skunks wanted the peanut butter and raisins as badly as I did, so I had to share.

On the first afternoon I was there, camp set up and just hanging out when two guys walked by. They were in deep conversation at a slow pace and taking in the beautiful scenery and environment. When the glanced at my camp site, I think something seemed out of place to them because they had ask if I rode there. With my Trek 520 and Bob Yak trailer empty but still hitched leaning against a tree was the only visible means of transportation showing, I thought that was a fair question. Yep I rode.
"Where from?"
"Austin".
"Were from Austin", the older one chimes.
"Cool".
"Do you want to go to the Star Party tonight at McDonald's Observatory, we will come by and pick you up".
"I'd love to go, that'll be better than the Star Party I was planning to have here".
"Ok, see you around 8:30".
"Cool".
So I'm waiting and enjoying the fading light of a day in nature when I see a visitor coming my way, but this time he had 8 legs instead of two. He walked right up to my table totally non concerned with my presence until he bumped into a plastic grocery bag. My litter bag was laying down on the concrete pad at the dining area, anchored by a rock so the wind wouldn't take it away and it was right in the path of Mr. Tarantula. Boy, did he have a reaction to that. He pulled back and shrunk up as if he wish he had a turtle's shell to hide in and remained that way for a minute or two. I think he knows that plastic bags mean humans are close by.After he decided the coast was clear, he changed his route and kept wandering. He bumped into the tent which was about 30ft away, changed directions again and then wandered off into the darkening day. I'm glad our paths crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!