I've heard it before and most likely you have too, that life, a project or any endeavor is about the journey and not the destination. The very first time I heard it many years ago I felt the truth of those words. During my lunchtime walk today I went to the post office. I was conversing with the gentleman behind the counter as we did our weigh envelope, put stamp, and collect postage routine. We were remembering how over two years ago I came in to mail some care packages to myself to some general delivery locations across West Texas on my route that I cycled. I enjoyed reminiscing about the preparation for that trip, and the trip itself. I remember that one I got to El Paso, I was in the mood to continue riding. But I couldn't because I had reached my destination, had other commitments and things to do. The likes of which were to attend a 40 year class reunion, meet my great grandson when he was born, and to see Marcy.

I met her a month earlier at my uncle's funeral. Not a common place to meet someone, but that's how it happened. We talked on the phone quite a bit, and emailed quite a bit during that last month before my journey on two wheels with trailer and gear to creep across the arid expanse of the West part of the state. I really enjoyed, no, relished that trip. Not that it was easy, in fact it was hard, but I relished it. I relished that one day that I was hurting so bad, and the headwind made me work so hard that I thought about quitting. Because I was relishing that challenge, I believe that's why I didn't quit. I would talk myself into doing 10 miles and then we could talk about it. Yes the crazy man and his committee did some talking. But I made it to my parents house, feeling like I lived a dream, but part of me did not want to stop. But, as I said, I had things to do and one was to meet Marcy.
We spent a week hanging out, seeing each other's family members and visiting. It became clear to me that I was on another journey. My journey led to another journey. My life has changed quite a bit since ending my bike trip and it's exciting, and yes I am relishing the journey.

I like this clip

Pretty Crazy, yeah?

There's a guy named Crazy Howard who lives in Fort Collins Colorado, His blog is linked to mine on the right. I have'nt met Howard, but I like to check in on his site regularly and these two clips in this posting are reasons why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!