Carbon Credit Hypocrisy

I am sitting on the threshold of a new and exciting life, going back to my home town, which by the way, one time some 28 years ago, I said I was not going back to. "Never say never" is a saying that is coming back to bite me now. Each day, hour and minute, my thoughts are consumed with all the details that will make this move organized and efficient. With this consumption my heart beats a little faster at times. The future I face is a total departure from the routine I've lived here in Austin.
Change, they say, is most always for the better. There is one element of change that I feel a little apprehensive about. Over the past few years I have built up quite a few carbon credits in my account. My carbon footprint has been minimal, which has been a source of satisfaction and fulfillment for me. I am now faced with the necessity to begin cashing in and carbon credits I've earned over the years and ext ending my carbon footprint because my new job is about 50 miles from where I will be living. To ride to work and back each day is unrealistic, so I need to come up with another plan. Perhaps driving my car half way and riding half way or public transportation or something like that.
Riding has become more of a mental health well being part of my life that even without all the energy concerns and gasoline pricing, my hope for continued daily riding will carry on.
Last night I talked to Father Peter, an 80 year old priest who loves to ride his bike and help people in Juarez Mexico. His encouragement to help the El Paso driving population become more tolerant for bicycle lanes has me inspired. Therefore, as I change my geographic situation, change my daily routine, and all the little changes that are inevitable to come, I pray that some of these changes will guide me to more meaningful endeavors such as bicycle advocacy. Time will tell and of course if you wish you can check back to see what's going on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!