BUT......

Austin Texas is a cool place to live and ride a bicycle. If you know Austin, you would think there are a lot more cool things about it than the riding tolerance. Culturally, it is one of the more progressive cities in the country. The public radio surpasses all the rest, especially around here in West Texas and South east New Mexico. BUT.........
There is more to savor in life in this wide world. As the days get shorter, I find myself riding to work in darkness, something I am long accustomed to. When I would begin my ride in darkness in Austin, somewhere along the way it would all of a sudden be light. Dark, dawn, daylight, quickly transposed into another day. I ALWAYS welcome a new day! Here in El Paso I start my day in the car by pulling out of the garage which was already backed into the night before, it's good and dark. Dark that is except for like today a waning moon shines bright. The stars can still be seen through the residual moonlight, more so than can be seen in Austin with no moon at all. As I drive my way toward the spot where I can unhitch my green rolling steed, I notice far away in the west the light of the sun yet way beyond the horizon. I still have at least twenty minutes to go before parking, but when that time comes it is still officially dark, or dawn, or whatever, because I don't know at this point which is which. I just know I can see for a long way, and the sky glows with a soft accent. It takes at least an hour for the transition from dark to day to occur. It is more celebratory than what I got used to by spending twenty eight years in Central Texas. It seems to add more meaning to the prospect of living another day. It is refreshing. No buts about it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Maybe part of the fascination with the dawn in the El Paso area is that "far away in the west the light of the sun yet way beyond the horizon" would mean that you were actually looking at the sunset! You need to come back for a quick visit and a dose of Austin reality soon, RJ. Ride on anyway.

BM

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!