Soft Spokin

By the time I get home this evening after work I will have a hundred miles in for the week, with a chance to get all I want tomorrow, so I can close out the week with a decent mileage for the log book. There was a pretty good head breeze this morning, I hope it doesn't bring any thunderstorms. But, oh well, I only have so many more chances to get wet in this life. I hope there are so many it hurts, get it?
I ordered 50 new spokes yesterday. When I had my first broken spoke, after the new bike got about 1300 miles on it, the guy in the fixit shop said that I should think about getting a stronger wheelset for the bike since I ride it so much. I didn't want to hear that, but graciously accepted that. After some talking up with others, cyclists and other shops, I heard a lot of stuff, not knowing what the real deal is. You see, I've never had a broken spoke in my life of riding, and now I've had two. The second one came at about the 2000 mark. There is a new shop close by work and I talked to them about repairing/replacing the broken spoke. They were pretty hooked up getting ready for a road race, so I took it back to the first shop, which is the place where I bought the bike in the first place. This is a large shop with lots of employees and mechanics, so one gets to talk to different people and of course, get different opinons. This last guy says that I shoul just replace the spokes because the original spokes are cheaply made and replacing them with stainless steel would be the answer. Well the guys close to work thinks that I should go with a heavier grade. I went with the closer guys. They can get my wheel re-laced well within the day so I can ride to work and ride home from work, and that is what I am interested in. Everyone else (I also have talked to another shop) wants to keep the bike for a few days. So, AustinBikes gets the job. I hope this young company with young people become prosperous. It must be said here though that someday I want to work part time at the other shop, the big shop with all the employees Bicycle Sports Shop. So, I wait here for my 50 spokes to arrive so that 32 of them can get out in the turning world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!