In Search Of The Peleton

I wasn't in the mood to go to the gym last night (again) because I felt like riding my bike some more. 20 miles for the day wasn't enough, I wanted more time turning the crank, enjoying the weather, and rolling around a few things in the vast empty space in my head. For many years, there has been a training ride for the elite cyclists in Austin, and the not so elite join in too. It's called the Tuesday Nighter. Lance Armstrong has been in quite a few of those, he even mentioned it in one of his books. So, not wanting to go to the gym, but wanting to get more saddle time, I decided to go to a place along the Tuesday Nighter route and station myself at a turn so I could get some pictures.


















This Austin Bikes rider was in about third place, easily 2 minutes ahead of te Peleton. Maybe Sol or Eric can tell me who this is when I see them today at lunch





Can't tell if this guy is waving or not, but he was way out in front.













Rain, Tornados, Weather, Fun

This morning I woke to the crack of lightening and thunder. Rain pouring shortly afterward, and with my window raised it seemed like a good idea to roll over and go back to sleep. However, there was one major problem here. I have already made a deal with the State of Texas Retirement System that I would not miss any more days than we have agreed upon. We have agreed upon a few between now and June 30th, my retirement date. My automobile is in the shop, so traveling by bicycle is my only option today. With crackling skies and heavy rain outside I took a shower, got my belongings like wallet and phone waterproof wraped, found my old golfing rain gear and got on the bike and braved the 10 mile ride in the rain. The rain gear kept the rain off me, but my prespiration made me just as wet on the inside. I knew this would happen, but what the heck. I rationalized that my perspiration would be better than collecting dirty road mist from the traffic. Actually the ride was fun.


Up north of Austin a few miles, there have been some tornados, the radio stations are giving instructions of what to do if one comes in our area. The lady on television this morning said to one geographical group that if they need to stop watching the tv and get to some shelter. The way she said that made me think of how real this whole weather thing can be when it hits your area. Lucky for me today, in South Austin, it was just rain. The lightening had passed to the North West by the time I got outside.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!