Come Clean, Cycle Dude

Even though I may have to eat some crow and apologize for my rant about the El Paso Bicycle Club, my main purpose that day was to rally up support to memorialize the unfortunate way Mr. Heinz Duerkop had to die. I do, however, like it that it has stirred the stew. Based on the last post's, to bridge some gaps and make an amends, not only for the way I portraid the club, but also to extend a hand to concerned cyclists for more unity. After all, I do claim to want raise advocacy awareness in this city. It could be that the advocates are here, alive and well, like Fred, Becky, and other unnamed pedalcyclists. So let's come together and make a difference.

Fred frequently commutes with his bike to work from EP to Juarez and back. He knows what the traffic can be like and how to navigate in it.

Becky commutes from the northeast to the central part of the city. I would like to hear more about hers and Fred's experiences.

There is a guy out there who rides a nice bike and doesn't even own a car and I'm sure he is NOT a bad person. On the one hand he is right when he says cyclists are cyclists. On the other, there are many types of cyclists, each carrying a certain culture and style. some of us overlap in types, for example I like to commute and use a bicycle for transportation as well as go on group rides and social events. There are those who who mountain bike, those who ride BMX, those who just ride around the neighborhood. I could go on about this, but maybe another time.

My goal today is to offer a handshake to those who I've offended, express gratitude to those who've responded, and encourage further dialog about making El Paso a more bicycle friendly city, and come up with ways honor and memorialize those unfortunates.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well said.

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!