Memorial of a Deadly Bicycle Accident

It happened yesterday in this fair city, El Paso, Texas. A cyclist was killed while on an early morning ride, a time when the roads are still sleepy and a time when there is not much concern for safety. Mr. Heinz Duerkop, 67 years old was taken from life on earth by a car which hit him from behind. I went to the spot this morning to see that the cyclist had been hit from behind by an automobile who had not applied brakes, leaving fairly deep scrape marks in the asphalt for a distance of about 20 feet. According to the El Paso Times newspaper the rider was thrown a distance. The driver is being sought for hit and run. From what I could see by the remnant marks on the street, the rider was about 15 inches from the curb riding on a street(Georg Deiter) that had a wide inside lane. someone had to be veering extremely far left of the dashed lane stripe to have hit this cyclist.

I don't want to exploit the unfortunate, but I feel like doing something to memorialize this man and this event, perhaps something like "Ghost Bike". this is a program I've seen in Austin, in fact have a picture and an article someplace back in the this blog site.

The opportunity is hear to start some sort of advocacy efforts here. I think, and pardon me if you are an El Paso Bicycle Club member who is totally satisfied with the clubs function, the local bicycle club is lame on this sort of thing. If you have a $3600.00 or more bike and you like to ride on the West side of town on weekend mornings with the like minded, that is the club for you. As far as encouraging commuting and lobbying for safer streets.... well there is a wide open field for someone to start playing in. Today, I feel a stronger urge to get off my duff on this.

Mr Duerkop, my condolences to your family. May you rest in peace. I ask in your absence the permissiont to not let your passing slip out of memory as quick as a flash, by writing more and talking more and doing more to help make our roads a safer place.

And a note to the coward who fled the scene. You will not go with peace until you get yourself right with your mistake.

Comments

Kristine said…
Hi Rick. My name is Kristine and I work at KVIA. Your blog post is very interesting. We would like to do a story on the dangers of biking in El Paso and why you want to begin a club to encourage the community and lobby for safer streets. If we air a story it may help you get the publicity you're looking for. Please let me know if you are interested in talking with us. Our number is 496-1760. Thank you very much.
Fred said…
Rick, this is the first time I have seen your blog. I am a board member on the EPBC. I do not think your description of our club is totally accurate. While we do ride mostly on the west side, we also have several rides every month on the east side of town too. Most of the members live on the west side, so when we lead rides, we tend to do so close to home. Folks from the east side are more than welcome to join and sponsor rides on that side of town. I would love to ride in areas that are "new" to me. I do agree that the club should get more involved in promoting safe cycling around the city. I would love to hear some of your ideas as to how we can work together to make an impact. I commute often from my home to Juarez and I have no choice but to ride on dangerous roads. I have a personal interest in improving that situation. Let me know if you would be willing to meet with the club board. If so, I will get a meeting scheduled in the near future.

Regards,
Fred Carpenter
915-309-1607
Anonymous said…
Hi Rick,
I am also an EPBC member, who lives in the northeast and bike commutes to work in the central area of El Paso. EPBC leads rides all over the city, and I have found EPBC rides a great way to learn about El Paso. So, I disagree that EPBC is just for folks who live on the Westside and have 3,600.00 dollar bikes (you could buy four of my bikes for that price). However, I do agree with you that EPBC should be more proactive about advocating for cyclist. I am interested in learning more about how we can be more of a voice for cyclist.
Becky
Anonymous said…
I commute on a 2,500 dollar bike and don't own a car. So that makes me a bad person? I don't understand you statements. Cyclists are cyclists, as much as you would like to say that is not true.
Anonymous said…
Heinz was a good man. The community has lost a link to the past. Honor him as you can.
Unknown said…
Rick,
Thank you for doing all you can to bring this death to the public eye. My husband and I are angry this happened to our wonderful neighbor. He was an incredible neighbor....always a wave....always a smile...always working on something. His wife, Margot, will be at a loss. Our street will never be the same. I have driven the area, just down the road from our home, over and over again. I have looked through nearby neighborhoods for hours for the "damaged white car" that left Heinz to die. My theories are many. I believe the driver lives in a nearby neighborhood. Our hearts are broken. I have asked a lot of people about the chances of starting a reward fund for information leading to the arrest and conviction of this driver. It seems no one knows how to go about it. If you or anyone you are associated with would be interested in creating a legitimate fund, I would love to help. Thanks again.
Arlene
Anonymous said…
Rick,

I have an old old Road Bike that I would gladly donate it for the "Ghost Bike" memorial if it becomes a reality. let me know if you decide or know of someone here in El Paso that can make this happen. My address is : rault49@hotmail.com

I know our city ordinance may prohibit such a thing but its worth a try. Its an effective method to raise awareness, it may be a first for El Paso.

R.T.

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!