Where Will Your Last Pedal Stroke Be?

Arlene, please contact me: jordan630@gmail.com


When one sees the deep scrape marks the bicycle frame left as it ground its way down the street some 75 feet maybe took only a second or two. When I see the blackened curb and tire prints made from a swerving vehicle I wonder which story in my mind is closest to what really happened when Heinz met his fate. I wonder if he was spinning his crank at a high cadence with the great feeling only an early morning ride in El Paso can bring.


The makeshift cross craftily created on the fly with a picture frame, probably torn apart for the purpose. Attached to shelf bracket to anchor it to Mother Earth, the dust from which we come. Flowers and candles set against the desert breeze to pay homage to a Salt of the Earth gentleman, fallen, gone. I pray that this memory does not fade so quickly. I pray that a seed is planted to allow this tragic event to grow into a better cause. I pray that the other party(ies)involved will bring themselves to justice.

Comments

Unknown said…
Rick, I sent you our email address if you have any information as to how we can contribute to a reward fund or make the public more aware of what happened to Heinz. The initial write-ups indicated that he was "elderly." What a laugh. Maybe in years but he and his wife were in better shape than most 20-somethings. He was an experienced bicycle rider. I suspect the hit and run driver pulled out of one of two streets (Tenaha or Buffalo Soldier.) If the driver had been traveling south at a high rate of speed, he/she would have seen Heinz or Heinz would have been aware. The driver would have automatically pulled into the left lane. I think this person pulled out of a side street, accelerated to get across George Dieter, turned left into the right lane after looking the other way to make sure no traffic was coming. He/she never saw Heinz who had just passed through until it was too late. Given the early hour, I think that driver lives off of one of those two streets. Why didnt he/she stop to help? No insurance? No license? Please everyone, tell your neighbors about this. I spoke to two people who didn't even know about it.

Arlene
Rick J said…
AJ, Whenever I get a comment, it also gets emailed to me through my google account: rjordan630@gmail.com
That medium does not permit a reply to the commentor.
I didn't see an email from you aside from the comment. I do hope that you and your husband keep trying to send me something so I can get in touch with you. I am reluctant to put my phone number on this site. So please email me again when you read this comment
rj

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!