Secrete Code

There is a project, "White Bike", I think it is called. I googled White Bike and come up with a community bike program where one is supposed to ride a bike when they need transportation and then leave the bike unlocked for someone else to use when they need transportation. But around here that is the Yellow Bike Project which is a dieing program and an another issue all together,
I'm not sure where or how Whit Bike originated, maybe Ontario, or Quebec, or Chicago or who knows where, but I hope it continues and grows as an awareness program. When a bicyclist is killed on public streets someone chains a bicycle at the spot of the "accident" and leaves it there. There are two white bicycles in South Austin, and the only two that I am aware of in the city. One of them is on South First Street in what I consider an extremely dangerous road for bicycling. I don't know the particulars of that one but I am glad it is there.
The bike pictured here is on South Congress right on the daily path in which I ride on my daily commutes. I remember reading about it last year. A high school student was taken out by a semi dump truck fairly early one morning. In fairness to the truck driver, I would imagine the young rider was not riding vehicle style. That is, he was possibly crossing an intersection via the sidewalk, or going in the wrong direction or something. I really don't know for sure, but when I first read about it in the paper, which didn't give details, I studied it each day that I rode to work trying to figure out how it could happen in the place that it did. At any rate, it is a shame that it happened. When I go by there in the bike lane, dump trucks have given me plenty of berth.
What I would like to see is more recognition to the motor drivers of what this white bike is all about. Virtually everyone I have talked to about it asks what is the bike there for. So the real shame here is that the intention of the bike is not revealed to those that it's intended for. Maybe I should do something about it. We will see.




Comments

Anonymous said…
"Ghost" bikes...an effort to educate drivers about what they mean would be helpful. Ghost bike groups in other cities often put up a plaque near the bike, but the plaques are really only visible to passing pedestrians - not sure the message reaches the intended audience.
Ranjana said…
Hi. I am a student from UT, Austin and I am considering doing a documentary on 'bike-culture' in Austin. Specifically, I am interested in finding out more about the White Bike (or Ghost Bike?) Project. Please let me know if you might have some more information about people who are involved in this etc.
my email address is ranjana@mail.utexas.edu
Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!