Frames Of Ride and Frames Of Mind

I mentioned Dave Moulton's article in yesterday's post. Typically on the mornings I write something or put up some pictures, I take a quick look at a couple of blogs linked on the right hand side bar. When I saw Dave's article it got to me immediately, so that's why I encouraged you to read it. As my day went on his words sat in the back of my mind, especially on my commute ride back to the apartment. I appreciate it when I get food for my brain like I did with this particular piece. This morning on my way in I decided to leave a comment. In the comments page I found this:

hey, Dave, Steve Garro here. came across your blog.....cool stuff. i hope you continue to improve from your accident! I'm a frame builder too, and on 10/5/05 i was totally crushed by a truck....spinal fusions, crushed femur, internal injuries, 6 surgeries, coma, the whole shebang. i still build frames, but in a wheel chair. i walk with crutches, and ride my off-road hand cycle and kayak/canoe and fish. I'm glad you are OK! it can be much worse...but I'm OK!....check out my blog - www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com Steve.

Not knowing a single detail about his accident and not having a clue as to how much he has had to endure since 10/5/05, I am inspired by his matter of fact, concise, and empowering description of who he is today. I am glad he is alive and above all, pedalling. And frame building. I wish I could just order up one of his frames.

Today I drove my car to work because I need to get to the airport as quickly as I can when I finish here at work. I feel guilty on days that I don't ride my 20 miles. Not so much because I don't like to burn gasoline, and that IS a huge reason, but more especially because I am not using my body. When I don't use my body today, I can't buy back that time tomorrow because I can only use it once tomorrow, and even that my friend, is not for certain.


Have a good weekend.

Comments

Yokota Fritz said…
Hi Rick, I followed your comment on Moulton's blog to your blog. Regarding "Your perspective would serve well as one of the lessons taught in a cycle commuting class. That is if there were one." There are cycling advocates all across the USA, Canada and in the UK who teach these classes with varying degrees of effectiveness. In Santa Cruz, CA (where I live) the county gives significant cash vouchers for bikes if you take the cycling safety class. In Boulder County, Colorado, the LAB Bike Ed for kids classes are now taught at most of the schools at the elementary and middle school levels through the Colorado Safe Routes to School program, with the LAB Road 1 class taught to school staff and parent volutnteers who help run the local Safe Routes program. I know of a couple of bike shops that teach the class to all employees, and the class is also available through adult education programs offered by various cities.

I don't know how effective it's been, but Preston Tyree has a Road 1 class scheduled in Austin nearly every month this year. Here's his info on the class.

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!