Easter Passed

Where I come from, when Easter has passed you by, and you wear a cowboy hat, you may now switch from felt to straw. When I was much younger, that standard seemed to be adhered to, but nowadays, it doesn't seem to be followed. Anyway, you may now switch to straw because warmer weather is just around the corner.
The city of Austin is asking bicyclists for input on how to make the roadways more friendly for commuting in the city. Austin already is a friendly bicycle city, but with automobile gridlock the way it is, the value of getting even more folks on two wheels seems to be a good idea. Chicago has just past an ordinance to fine auto drivers if they turn right or left in front of a bicycle (cutting them off). Also, they will be fined if they don't give at least 3 feet of clearance when passing.
There are many reasons why society should accomodate and embrace cyclists as a bonafied part of the transportation world, and perhaps society is coming to see this.
This morning I saw a young lady nearly get wiped out because she ran a red light on her bicycle right in the path of a big truck and car. I was a that red light waiting for the light to turn green when I saw all this. About a mile down the road I caught up with her and told her that she nearly became a statistic because of her illegal and dangerous riding ways. It didn't take her but about a half a second to tell me where to get off and go. I told her that not only is she putting herself in great danger but she is also contributing to cyclists having a bad image. She spouted off words to me that even a sailor could take notes with. So I went on my way, which about a mile or so down, I came to another red light. I heard behind me more voice of indignation. It was clear the young lady was angry. I looked around and noticed her taking a right on the sidewalk which got us off the same path.
I don't know why that since I ride this road almost everyday and try to follow traffic laws, I think other cyclists should do the same thing. And when I see someone nearly get themselves killed by behaving dangerously, I should tell them to be safer. I don't really want to be a policeman, but sometimes I act like one.
I hope she made to to her destination ok.



But on to other things. Easter weeken provided for lots of family activities:

Easter Morning Brunch

The grand egg of the hunt


Sister Martha and Great Granddaughter Isis


Marcy and Seth

Kayla


The walk up Mount Cristo Rey was one thing I've always wanted to do. I am so glad that we went. April, Matthew, Marcy and myself had so much fun going up that trail. The weather was nice too. I hope to do it again next Good Friday.

Remember that if you click on the pics you get the large view of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!