On To The Observatory

When I was about 13, I rode my bike all over the neighborhood. Terry B was an adventerous sort who talked me into riding long distances, like for example to the airport to take pictures of fighter jet planes and such. Well, anyway, I am heading down I- 10 with a great tail wind, going down hill, and reaching speeds in excess of 30mph. But you see, I decides to stop at the rest area 5 miles shy of Van Horn. And who do I encounter after so many years, but Terry, as he was on his way to El Paso to see his mom and attend the reunion later in the week. What's really cool is that we still recognise one another.

I've noticed that writers of bike tours, both fictional and real, don't talk about saddle soars or sore buts. So I won't write about it either, but I must mention: SOAR BUTT!
Heading toward Kent, Texas I started seeing all kinds of yucca plants. There are many varieties of this plant, but the on pictured is a special variety to me, and seeing them brought back some terrific memories.
One note here is to show that the rear pannier is empty and in the folded up position. The reason for this is because I fully expected to give in to having to push my bike up the hill rather than ride it somewhere along the climb to McDonald's. But I didn't and for that I am proud. Way back by Luekenbak (sp) on road 1888 there were three killer hills of which the third I had to get off and push. The pannier got in the way big time. So I was prepared this time.



The first night I was at camp, Some guys walked by, a 35 year old, his father, and his father's brother. Turns out we ar all from Austin, so since I rode my bike to Fort Davis and I am from Austin, I got an invite to the Star Party at McDonald's Observatory. What fun that was.

When finally started my riding again, I went by the Observatory's Visitor Center. I know that some of you have already made this climb on a bike, so I don't need to tell you what a steep hill that is. But I made it, and I had the Director of Volunteers take my picture just to show I was there. It was actually cold that day and a pull over was necessary. After coffee and brownies, I headed for the lower country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!