Chainrings In The Sand

I am beginning to think that sand floats in the air. I reminds me of other parts I've been to where moisture hangs in the air on an autumn foggy morn. But here it's sand. Sand everywhere, even in the chain and on the chainring, amazing. The pesky stuff with all its peskiness is worth putting up with to get a whiff of the desert air. I know I've mentioned this before, but I can't get over the wonderful smell of the desert. Right now these little yellow flowers are in bloom and the scent I get from them makes me want to keep taking a breath inward until my lungs are totally full and I have no choice but to stop and exhale. These flowers, which are weeds to a grassy lawn don't smell like honeysuckle or Bird of Paradise or any of the sweet nectar plants. They smell like a weed, but I absolutely love it. That weedy smell laced with the aroma of the Grease wood make me so appreciative that I was outdoors. I could have not really received this gift in an automobile. The bicycle has presented me once again with a terrific experience, even if there is sand all over my chainrings.

This is an artery by the terms used where I work, the Dona Ana County Assessor's Office in New Mexico. Where I grew up as a kid, some 70 or so miles away, there was the same kind of ditch behind our yard. There is a fertile valley that cuts through the high dry desert carved out by the Rio Grande, or Rio Bravo, depending which side you stand on. The river doubles as a source for irrigation and international border between Mexico and the USA. These ditches or arteries that feed off the river are what make it possible for the good dirt to produce anything green. The ditch behind our place was an important place for me to play, think that I was in the wild, and generally have a great place for a kid to be. No bicycle riding on the ditch though, that was for the front. I can still remember as a kid back in the 50's when the street we lived on was paved. I didn't worry about sand in the chainring back then, I just rode that old bike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!