Riding In New Mexico

This is my second day of riding my bike to work in New Mexico. It's a drive/ride situation. I parked my car 14 miles from the office building I work in. The terrain is like mild rolling hills on a two way access road mostly parallel to I-10. The traffic, for two days now, coming from my back, that is going the same direction I am, give me plenty of room. Kind of a farming and dairy area, those kind of folks tend to make plenty of room on the road anyway. For now this seems like a good way to go, but I understand that to the south of this road, down in the valley there are some really nice roads canopied by old pecan trees. Perhaps that is in the future.
When I first started driving to my new job I was on the lookout for potential places to park so I could ride. I kept passing this one place, Landmark Mercantile, thinking the distance was just about right. I had some trepadation to go in and see about the possibility of parking there during the day, thinking that the last thing a mercantile company would want is some guy trying to take up good parking space. Finally though I mustered up and went to see the owner. He wasn't there the first time I went. The second time I went he wasn't there either but got his phone number. I found him to be the most congenial person on the phone and very receptive to the idea. It wasn't for a couple of weeks after that when we met, which was Monday morning of this week, 8/4/08. It turns out this young gentleman is a triathlete, a big strong guy, and friendly as can be. Jason McClure is the guy, one who has an equine and tack business along with his horse pharmacy. Every customer that comes in has to make sure and have a word with Jason, because he is so well respected. I know this is only the second day of my commuting plans to ride some 28 miles a day, 14 in the morning and then back again, but I am stoked about the prospect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!