Southern Breeze

Yesterday I met up with one of the Austin Cycle Association's organzed rides. I have been wanting to do this for quite a while now, so it was good to finally show up. My big mistake was that I signed up for the long ride, a 58 or 60 miler. What I should have done was get in the 38 mile ride. I couldn't resist trying to hang with some stuck up acting, weathered looking, advanced leg muscle looking guys. I gotta tell you it was fun riding with them all the way until I got dropped, some 12 plus or minus into the ride. It shows what I have to look forward to, what I have to work toward. I am going to have to tell Jorge, I don't know what I am talking about saying an 18 or 20 mph average is pretty easy. 12 miles of that pace going into the wind, even if I were able to draft, zapped me early. I turned around to see if I could catch the 38 mile crowd, but the headwind was to much for me to go any faster than 14-15. I had already done myself in.
The rest of the ride was solo, or should I say with sweet solitude. The route was familiar. I maintained a direction into the wind until I got to Bastrop and decided to take the direct route on the interstate acess back. Wind at my back, tired and spent I managed to keep a decent cadence and speed, making my overall average 15.5, with 45.2 miles for the day.
Now it is back at the job on Monday morning. I will get in my 20 miles by the time I get home this evening, satisfied because I have a good start on the week's mileage goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!