Saturday Morning Post

Miles this week: 150
It's raining today, just like last Saturday, this forces me to concede to rest. I know I need it, I don't want to do it. I could ride in the rain, but don't want to risk it since I my mileage is going good already. If the sun comes out there will be more time to rack up some miles, the logbook week starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday. Tomorrow is a new day, I mean new week.

My boss is open about his expectations that the more I do for him, the more he expects of me. That's alright with me, at least so far, because it's fun to meet timelines and challenges to a certain degree. But like stacking a house of cards, does a destructive crash loom ahead?

I find that my personal expectations bike riding mileage is the same for me. That is, the more miles I ride each week, the more I expect myself to do. I remember the days I rode a bike to work in El Paso, to the refinery back in the early 70's on North Loop road. Not a bike friendly era or road at the time. I am fortunate to have made it through that time. I didn't ride because I wanted the exercise, I road because I didn't have a car, or it was out of commission. I rode purely out of necessity, if I wanted to keep a job and get a paycheck.

I lived for a spell in Denver and only wished I rode a bike then, but I had to steer around a welding truck, again a necessity to get a paycheck. In Austin, I started riding because it was great joy. I could only commit for a few months at a time and for some reason or another, I was back in the car for a few more months. This went on for years throughout all the different jobs I have had. So now on the bike again, hoping this time it will be a very very long commitment.

Last summer I started again, not because I needed the exercise, and I did need it, but in defiance to the fossil fuel situation we have got ourselves into. I first would ride to the bus stop, but the bike on the front of the bus and ride to the stop nearest the office building and then ride the few short blocks to work. About a month of that stuff I rode the entire 10 miles each way. To say the first couple of months wasn't hard would be dishonest. That 20 miles a day kicked my tail. But now, nearing the one year mark, it is a piece of cake and I am loving every crank and bike of that cake.

A year ago for me to put in a whole 150 miles for a week would have been unthinkable, and now here I am obsessively trying to surpass the 200 mark on a regular basis. What a sick puppy.

The First 10 People I Remember Meeting:
Mom, Dad, Bob Miner, Aunt Pat, Betty Grice, Aunt Rene,Martha, Bill Miner, Ronnie, Lyndon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!