IODINE

Teeth clenched just slightly I grumbled "Burn Ole Iodine, Burn". The young lady who just inserted the needle to start the process of me giving blood to the blood bank looked at me like I just went a little nuts. I think she was thinking whether or not she should be afraid of me. Part of the preparation for giving blood is to be smeared all around the vein which will receive the letting needle.

When I was a little boy and would play outside, which was a lot because kids played outside a lot back then, and would get a skinned knee or a cut finger or some kind of boo boo, which back then I never heard the term boo boo, I would come in to see my mom some ER work. Usually back then I would be whimpering or sniffling or even crying. Mom would reach for the iodine, the fix for all emergencies. I knew it was going to burn, sometimes not able to sit still for the application to begin, and when it finally got on the "boo boo", boy I am glad that term wasn't used on me when I was a kid, I would do more crying and whimpering. My mom said the best way to handle that situaion was to face it head on and just say "Burn Ole Iodine, Burn". And it worked, kind of.

With good blood pressure, and being sort of fit, the blood filled up that bag in short order. When the nurse was removing all the tubing and stuff, I asked her if she would put the surplus back in my vein. She laughed, I don't think she is afraid of me any longer, just knows I am a bit off my rocker.

Today was a great riding day. 40 miles, some easy, some strenuous. I think the name for the new ride has been decided upon: DRIFTWOOD.

Oh, and Mom, thanks for the comment from before.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Burn ole iodine burn. I heard that when I was young too so used it on my own children. At least we weren't fooled into thinking it wasn't going to hurt.
Driftwood sounds like a really good name!

Popular posts from this blog

Car Magnets - Print & Slap One On!